This is another step forward in the reopening process following last week's pool opening announcement. Also worth noting is that Bicycle Sundays on the Bronx River Parkway has now been extended to include July and August dates (June 7, 14, 21, 28; 10 am – 2 pm; Additional Sundays Added are July 12, 19, 26; August 2 , 9, 16, 23, 30; and Sept. 13, 20, 27)!
Day Camps will be open! Locations include Muscoot Farm, Cranberry Lake Preserve, Lenoir Preserve, Marshlands Conservancy (6 week, 5 day sessions, July 6 – Aug 14), Trailside Nature Museum (7 week, 5 day sessions Friday, July 6 – Aug 21), Hole-in-One Junior Golf Camp at six golf courses (6 week, 5 day sessions, July 6 – Aug 14).
For safety purposes there will be a reduction of campers and social distancing and masks required as per New York State Guidance. Registration begins online Monday, June 15th at 2pm https://parks.westchestergov.com/activities/childrens-camps.
- The camps held at the nature centers will operate outdoors only because of limited indoor space; therefore, the camps will close on inclement weather days. Muscoot Farm camp will be held outdoors and, during inclement weather, inside the large activity building.
- Muscoot’s curriculum will be modified due to State and County Health Department guidelines. Muscoot camp registration is currently full and waitlisted. Tuition is $250 per camper, per week.
- At Cranberry Lake Preserve in North White Plains and Lenoir Preserve in Yonkers, camp groups will be smaller than in typical years, with eight campers per session in order to achieve proper social distancing. Camp runs in six, five-day sessions, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. starting Monday, July 6. Tuition is $350 per camper per week. Camp will be cancelled if heavy rain or thunderstorms are forecast. A make-up day will be scheduled at the end of camp for any missed days.
- At Marshlands Conservancy in Rye, which also begins Monday, July 6 and runs for six, five day sessions. Camp day will be split into two daily sessions: 9 a.m. to noon for children in grades 1 – 3 and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. for children in grades 4 – 6. Tuition is $175 per camper per week. Camp will be cancelled on days with heavy or thunderstorms forecast. A weather make-up day will be available at the end of camp.
- Age range is grades 1 – 12 at the nature center camps and age 4 to grade 12 at Muscoot.
- A new family camp concept is being introduced at the Trailside Nature Museum at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Cross River. There will be seven, five-week sessions starting July 6. Prior to their session, families will pick up a “Family Camp Box” containing materials and supplies for their week of on-site activities, once at camp, each day will consist of one to two hours of self-guided activities combined with one naturalist-led activity. Heavy rain and thunderstorms will cancel camp.
- The Parks Department’s Hole-in-One Junior Golf Camp for ages 10 to 17 will take place at the six county-owned golf courses: Mohansic in Yorktown Heights, Hudson Hills in Ossining, Maple Moor in White Plains, Saxon Woods in Scarsdale and Dunwoodie and Sprain Lake, both in Yonkers. Sessions times and start dates vary with location; tuition is $75 per participant. Registration will be limited to 10 participants per session to assure social distancing.